Saturday, July 26, 2014

One Little Heartbeat At A Time



Did I have doubts? Of course. But I knew that God was doing this for a reason. Things like this didn't just come up back to back for nothing. God knew what he was doing in my life and I will be forever grateful for him giving me the blessings He has this year.

First I knew that I may have a situation where I would have to step in and adopt my sister. I was her Godfather. So I had been prepared to take over if I needed to do so but I was never expecting to actually have to put that into action.

After countless hours of social worker meetings, talking to lawyers, child services and going over finances, Avary is my daughter completely.

I was very nervous about the home study, but I just prayed and God was looking out for me. Having to write my autobiography was nerve wrecking enough, but the other things such as having to get a physical (to see if you have a normal life expectancy and normal mental health. Any prior mental issues could cause problems. Apparently being confused a lot isn't a big deal. ), personal interviews (the view to see if you live in a stable environment and how you handle situations) these were also the longest process because it's not just one interview and they are not always announced, then the criminal background check, financial Statements (financial records are reviewed by the social worker conducting the home study and they include annual income, savings, liabilities or debt, and overall net worth) and they went over my insurance and what insurance I plan on getting for Avary.

It was a long a tedious process but knowing that I go to sleep at night knowing that Avary completely safe the rest of her life makes it worth the process.

People have asked what the costs of the process was and I won't lie it was very costly. The home studies range themselves from $500 to $3000. Mine was in between those. And there will be post studies as well. Erica helped me get the best lawyer though so there are no loop holes.

As for a mother for Avary? Jessica will do just fine. Those two are so much like each other it's a wonder that Avary didn't come out of her. It is priceless. With those two my world is complete and I feel like I am sitting on a million dollars.

Yes in the future we plan to adopt more and hopefully have our own. As long as God is the center of what we do then who can be against us and win?

No comments:

Post a Comment