Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Hope for the Holidays

Losing a loved one and then celebrating may seem impossible but it's not. Losing over half your family then there comes the holidays not long afterwards. Yes at first you get mad and then you get angry. But would your loved want that? Probably not. There is hope to keep celebrating the holidays.

We were best friends who enjoyed the skies in our planes. We had helicopter and plane ornaments on the tree every year thanks to our mom. Being brothers that loved to eat we never had leftovers which my mom always amazed out. My mom loved Christmas more than anyone I know to this day (Hunter you are off by a hair.) My older brother and I used to hate see mom coming with the box of fake snow. My younger siblings loved the village that required the fake snow.



I say all of this because this because they are no longer with me physically. What I wouldn't give to see that cinnamon stick stuck behind mom's ear, though she thinks it's her pencil, carrying a box of fake snow. All of the food at Chick-fil-a I would gladly give up to have another casserole with my older brother. I wouldn't mind my little sister making me listen to her mess up 300 trying to play jingle bells on the piano. Ditching technology for a week sounds legit if I can spend a week with my baby brother building every building with Legos again.

However, I get really upset when people say they don't celebrate anymore because they have lost someone. Yes it's hard and memories are tied to most everything but that's truly what life is about. It's the legacy that lives on and the moment you stop celebrating you are ruining your own legacy to pass on. Do you want your family members to look back on their life and remember the holidays as a gloomy regular day because you didn't want to celebrate? Would the one you lost want that?

I can say without a doubt the ones I lost would not want that. I have celebrated every year since they passed away. I am a grown man now and sure I have a sweet little girl that calls me dad but I don't do this just for her. Even if she was grown I would bust out every single decoration I had because it instills me with me memories that I will cherish until I see my family again.

My mind cannot fathom these people who hate the holidays. The smiling faces, sure some are fake, but at least they are putting forth the effort unlike others. Of course, money gets tight, but you are giving and making memories. I realize that traffic and stores are crazy make Christmas then. I love homemade things but your heart into it. I know you will find decorations tied to memories and stories but it will make you stronger to face it and remember.

Give back to the community when you are mad or sad. It will make you grateful for what you are left with in your life. Avary and I both packed shoe-boxes and I have to say watching Avary be amazed by the video how these might be the first toys these children ever received made her aware of how blessed she is. We donated Toys for Tots and plenty of books went into that bin because Avary wanted to pass along the gift of reading.

Don't hide away in a recliner or a bed get out a celebrate that you have memories that can be cherished. Don't sit in a cold dark room being bitter. Don't let your legacy be remembered as a Scrooge one.

I certainly don't want mine to be one like Scrooge's.

No comments:

Post a Comment